Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Dear ones:

Just wanted to let you know that I did a no-no this morning. I was curious to see what the American Cancer Society said about what I am going through and I wish I had not clicked on that web-site as it was not very encouraging. I told Marty that maybe I have been in some denial because it really hit me that this is very serious.

Then I got to thinking about the actress Natasha Richardson that passed away today and realized how fortunate I have been, she was not able to get her heart right with the Lord, unless she was a believer and she did not get to say goodbye to her children and family. How sad. My family means everything to me.

I know that my great physician can override any doctors verdict and report and when He feels it is time for me to come home, He will take me. I AM READY. I PRAY THAT IF YOU HAVE NOT GIVEN YOUR LIFE TO JESUS YOU WILL, DO NOT WAIT ANY LONGER, DO IT NOW, NATASHA DID NOT KNOW THAT WHEN SHE WENT TO TAKE THAT SKI LESSON IT WOULD BE THE LAST DAY OF HER LIFE.

When Marty and I drove to Chico on Sat. we saw several crosses along the roadside which usually represents someone died there. I told Marty what was so ironic was that here I was going through this but we could have a car accident and it would all be over in seconds.

JESUS LOVES YOU AND SO DO WE, MAY THE LORD BLESS YOU AND KEEP YOU IN HIS CARE. TODAY IS THE DAY OF SALVATION. II Corinthians 6:1-2 Maxine

HELLO EVERYONE! THIS IS MARTY. I HAVE BEEN READING YOUR COMMENTS AND MY HEART IS OVERWHELMED WITH THE BLESSING OF YOUR LOVE AND JUST HOW BIG OUR FAMILY IS AND THAT WE ARE GOING TO BE TOGETHER FOREVER!

Coming home to this was such a surprise for me and it simply illustrates a verse that I have read so many times from Proverbs 27:1, "do not boast about tomorrow for you do not know what a day may bring forth." Wow! How true. Also, I have been singing all over the world, "The joy of the Lord is my strength" and now I have the opportunity to see how true that is. Some have been calling me THE APOSTLE OF JOY so now I can see if that is really true in my own home.

Maxine is so strong and it really helps me when I get shakey. Her faith has been such a testimony to me and I praise God for it. It is helping me. How thankful I am for the regular discipline that has been a part of my life for several years of reading at least five chapters from Psalms a day and then one chapter from Proverbs.
Without fail the Spirit of God has spoken to me the very words that I have needed for that day. With what Maxine and I face I know that we must have our lives anchored in the word of God. How wonderful to be encouraged to believe that God is in charge and that He and His word are eternally powerful and even in the midst of circumstances we can stand with confidence in our God and His promises. Again, how wonderul it is to have people of LIKE faith who believe in the power of God. James says that the "prayer of faith will heal the sick". THAT IS OUR CONVICTION. THAT IS WHERE WE STAND. And we are so thankful for so many others all over the world who believe and stand with us. God's presence is so real for us each day and how thankful we are for that. It makes me think of the statement by Fenelon who said,
"He prays well who is so absorbed with God that he doesn't realize he is praying." Isn't that beautiful? Paul said it in 1 Thess. 5 to pray without ceasing. Yes, it seems that is becoming more and more a way of life for us.

THANK YOU FOR CONTINUING TO PRAY FOR US AND WHAT JOY COMES IN KNOWING THAT WE ARE LOVED NOT ONLY BY OUR HEAVENLY FATHER BUT BY SO MANY OF YOU. MARTY

I wanted to add one more thing. A number of years ago I met an older woman(in her 80's) named Jean at the church where Mark and Martha are. She had cancer of the stomach and the doctors had given her only a couple of months to live. If I remember right, she lived for about 5 years longer. She was an encouragement to many people. She gave me this poem that I have carried in my Bible ever since and have shared with many people.
WHAT CANCER CANNOT DO!!!

cANCER IS SO LIMITED

It cannot cripple love
It cannot shatter hope
It cannot corrode faith
It cannot destroy peace
It cannot kill friendship
It cannot suppress memories
It cannot silence courage
It cannot invade the soul
It cannot steal eternal life
It cannot conquer the Spirit

AMEN!!!

16 comments:

  1. You all are such a wonderful family and you are so strong. I love reading all that you write and how still in this hard time you have such a positive attitude. We love you all Alanda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maxine and Marty: My leukemia doctor told me to be careful what I read on the internet. He said much of the information is misleading or just plain wrong. But we did what you did and read and it was scarey. So just trust in the Lord and in the strength he provides. We love you. Dennis and Carol Dunbar

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Maxine and Family...We continue to keep you and your sweet family in prayer. We know that God is in control and can do anything. I see that right now he is using you to be wonderful examples and sharing the importance, no, the urgency of having God in ones life. Love & prayers, Toni Carter (from Placerville church of Christ)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Marty and Maxine - You are both so encouraging. I love the poem about Cancer and it is so true. My mom went through uterine cancer 3 years ago and the last two years we have been going through breast cancer with my mother-in-law. My mom had a hysterectomy and was all clear and my mother in law just finished two years of chemo and a double mastectomy and has just gotten the all clear. I know that the hands of God were on both of their bodies and guiding them through the tough times. Just as the hands of God are on Maxine's. God only knows when it is our time to go home. Your love and devotion for Christ is so amazing. Love to you both! Thank you for letting us be "with" you and pray through this difficult time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW! Thanks you guys! I am so encouraged by you and your family! Thanks for the poem! I am going to copy and paste it to send out to some of my friends and family that are going through cancer as well! You are in my prayers and I love you guys so much!
    ~Raeane and family =)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Maxine and Marty: You are among the most precious people I have encountered in my lifetime and I am both encouraged and strengthened by your examples of faith. May you continue to be encouraged and hold tight to the truth that it is God and God alone who holds your destiny (not any such website). Hold tight to His word!!!

    Deu 31:6
    "Be strong and courageous! Do not be afraid. The LORD your God will go ahead of you. He will neither fail you nor forsake you."

    I love you and you remain constant in my prayers!

    Rachel Lopez

    ReplyDelete
  7. Maxine,
    I have to apologize for it taking these horrible circumstances for me to contact you to tell you how special you are Marty both have been to me. The Hooper family has ALWAYS felt like a second family to me and I thank the parent of that family for inviting me in. Although our time on this earth is limited, the JOY of knowing that we will spend FOREVER together as one happy family is comforting during this time of uncertainty. I love you both and will continue to pray without ceasing for Gods ultimate plan during this time, whatever that may be. God Bless you Maxine and Marty and thank you for EVERYTHING!!

    Tighe Hammam

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just wanted to send you alittle more LOVE......

    ReplyDelete
  9. Maxine,
    We will continue to pray for you . God Bless you and your loving family.
    We love you so very much.

    Kim Peters and Family

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have been checking the blog (am so grateful for that)and praying, but just found out I could write back (am I internet challenged, or what).
    You know you have been in our prayers and we know that you are in the palm of the hand of our great God! What a place to be! And not only you, but each of the family and us too as your friends. We continue to see how He keeps us as He walks step by step with us. Love to you all! Shari and Butch

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello Marty and Maxine, I am also so grateful for this blog, although, I have just figured out how to post after all these days of reading it. I just love you both so much and you have brought so much joy to so many including myself. I just listened to the CD The Last Lecture by Randy Pausch and it was wonderful. His outlook on life was truly amazing, reminding me of the two of you. If you have not heard of him I think you would enjoy the book or CD of the book.

    Thank you for sharing your illness so openly to all of us. You are truly inspirational!! When I first heard of Maxine's illness, my thoughts were of her unselfishness, that she would be more concerned about her family than she was of herself. I had lunch with Martha last week and she confirmed this. You are a remarkable woman of God and thank you for this example, I will be forever grateful. I love you and will like everyone continue diligent prayer for you and your fabulous family, their love for you is all inspiring. Lots of Love, Regina

    ReplyDelete
  12. GOD IS GREAT!!!!! maxine you are such a blessing to me. i love you so very much.
    nothing is going to stop you from spreading gods word. you and marty are a very specail couple
    all my love
    michelle throssel

    ReplyDelete
  13. Dear Maxine,
    Well, many years of this life have passed since we spent precious times with you on Dry Creek Rd...this is Susan (Cindy Varvais' sister)..you Maxine were a 'mentor Mom' figure in my life in 1982 and I will always treasure the memories of watching you love & care for your family! You were a much needed role model for me at that time and I truly thank you for being your precious selfless self for so many. God has used you in such a truly inspirational way and I know that His work for you will be forever! I love you & Marty and look forward to seeing you one of these days!
    Susan Farrer (Green)
    Tracy, CA

    ReplyDelete
  14. Marty and Maxine! God bless you and others as you walk through this together. I love I Thes 5:16-18...pray always, be joyful and give thanks in ALL circumstances for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus.
    We are praying for you and Mom and dad are wanting to call and come visit. We just need to know how to get ahold of you.
    Blessings,
    Debbie Nelson
    Herb Nelson
    Pattee Nelson!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Maxine,
    Just want you to know you've been in my prayers- and will continue to be. I pray you will be filled with His perfect peace, comfort, and abundant love in the weeks to come. Thank you for your shining example of a devoted, spirit-filled woman in Christ. May you continue to find hope in His plan for you.
    In His abundant love, Liseanne Wick :-)

    ReplyDelete